The error message that was thrown to me was System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: ’!!0 System.Array.Empty()’. Now that’s not very informative at all.
Since this was a Dynamics 365 online I’d thought that there might be a ton of stuff that wasn’t really working together and I was REALLY going through the code to see what I had written but didn’t really find anything weird, just your average custom workflow activity input and output really.
Enter search engine again. https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1097462/missingmethodexception-additional-information-method-not-found-0-system-array-empty gave me some pointers where the .NET team responded the following:
Most likely what is happening is that:
– The code is compiling against .NET 4.6, where the reference assemblies include Array.Empty<T>().
– The Roslyn compiler sees that Array.Empty<T> is available and so uses it when generating the empty array needed for the params.
– The compiled app is trying to run on .NET 4.5 where Array.Empty doesn’t exit.
If the above is not the case, please let us know. Otherwise, this is by-design.
Ok, that was at least pointing to somewhere. I was in fact using .NET 4.6 since it was the default version in VS 2015 and I didn’t really think about that and I thought that the Dynamics server would support it. When I changed the .NET version to 4.5.1 it started working as I hoped it would so, new stuff isn’t always the way to go.
Developer at CRM-Konsulterna