Today is my first day at work and I ran into issues right away while updating an 8.0 organization to 8.2. As usual a cryptic error took me on a bit of a hunt to what was needed and I found a solution which may or may not be ideal but it works so far.
The error message said ”14:41:07| Info| Setting organization state. New state = Failed
14:41:07| Error| Update Organization with Id=84095b00-96bf-e511-80ba-00155d02e703 failed with Exception:
System.Exception: Error.ActionFailed Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.InstallDatabaseUpdatesAction —> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot insert duplicate key row in object ’dbo.SolutionBase’ with unique index ’ndx_UniqueName’. The duplicate key value is (SnapshotSolution80).
The statement has been terminated.”
Right. Starting search engine power.
The first thing I found was http://kyledoestech.com/updating-crm-2016-to-dynamics-365-fails-with-duplicate-key-error/ which pretty much says, ”restore the org db to a server running 8.1 and update it there, then do an update to 8.2”. I don’t have an 8.1 server available atm so I was hoping I could do something else.
Next stop, Denmark! ”http://crmblog.dk/post/2017/01/03/Dynamics-365-Onpremise-Fejl-ved-opgradering-af-organisation.aspx”
Now, this says that the issue is in the solutionbase table, which the error message says too. There’s a section called solution but I don’t think that the solution is really stated, but I might be misreading it. It did help a little though since I started looking at what was in that table.
This is very much done at your own risk and is unsupported. So far it is working for me but I didn’t have an 8.1 server available so this is a bit of a ”hope this will work”. I would probably not do this to a production organization but this was a test so I thought it was worth a shot.
What I did was to remove the line with SnapshotSolution80 with the command
delete from SolutionBase where SolutionId = ’57A85212-B3B4-4C39-BCB0-5D5EF1F5FFC4′.
It looks like that will be re-inserted and I don’t have a quick way of running the update on a 8.1 server too. After the upgrade there is a line with unique name ”SnapshoySolution80” but with ha different solutionid so hopefully this has been a good dirty fix. So far I haven’t seen any issues with my quick fix but keep in mind this is unsupported.
You could run it towards the uniquiname ”SnapshotSolution80”, which might be a good idea since there COULD be other lines with the same solutionid
Did I mention that this is unsupported
Oh, btw, this is unsuppported.
Developer at CRM-Konsulterna