Some water has flowed under the bridge since my last session with installing a Dynamics 365
Customer Engagement on premise version 9 and my last attempt was sort of a disappointment.
Now Microsoft has released update 6 (version 126.96.36.199) and it actutally seems as if the issues has been resolved. In June I installed the update 5 (188.8.131.52) which sorted out some of the issues but there were a good number of strangeness left.
My memory is not quite with me at this time what I was struggling with but there were some missing dll:s if I remember correctly and they seemed to be coming from SQL Server 2014. I’m not quite sure of this so it might have been something else. That doesn’t really matter because as of version 184.108.40.206 I can create an organization with Finnish_Swedish collation and that was the last of the issues that has been present.
So to install a Microsoft Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement v9 on premise this is what you need.
* A Windows Server 2016 (standard or data center)
* A SQL Server 2016SP2 (standard or enterprise) or a SQL Server 2017 (if you have 220.127.116.11).
* An Active Directory 2008 or later (this has actually not changed since…. 2010)
(full prereqs can be found on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/customer-engagement/on-premises/software-requirements-for-microsoft-dynamics-365-server)
Then you install the server software and set up a latin collation organization, since you can’t do anything else on the vanilla version 9. After this, install 18.104.22.168 (or later if applicable, this is written in August 2019). After you have done this you can create or upgrade your organizations running on Finnish_Swedish collation. This only took some 8 months to fix…
As for the SQL server 2017 requiring update 3, I have no idea atm how that should be done. Back in the days of CRM 2011 you could hotfix your installation media with the Update Rollup files but I don’t know if that is something you can do now.
Anyway, we can finally use v9 on premise for other collations that latin.
One note on this, since I made some interesting security changes on the folder structure earlier I might test to do a clean installation sometime. Hopefully the issues I was facing earlier with the file security has been remedied as well.
Developer at CRM-Konsulterna